"Transform anxiety into excitement; focus not on the fear of what lies ahead but the possibilities you might create"

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

eggs are cookin

Sadly, this was our last weekend in Beach Haven, but it was a perfect end to a great summer. My last run was awesome, yet bittersweet. The weather was amazing and I really went for it during high fry time.


Last run with my dogs - thanks for getting up early to run with me :)

Today was my first follicle check (US/BW). I was so anxious to see what was going on in there and how my body was responding. There is nothing exciting to report thus far. I have about 18 follicles that have decided to step up to the plate for this round of IVF, yet they are all itty bitty (totally normal at this stage) and we don't know which ones will mature. FYI-a follicle is basically a sac filled with fluid and the oh so precious egg. The ultrasound measures the follicles to determine how the eggs inside are maturing and while they develop my estrogen level must continue to rise. After each appointment the doc reviews my labs and leaves a message with my updated medication protocol. Today they increased all of my meds for tonight through Friday morning. So, I will be doing 1 injection in the morning and 2 at night - ahhh! I must have listened to the message 20 times to make sure I had all the different meds/dosages correct. The injections really don't bother me much, but they definitely give me headaches that tylenol won't cure. The part that makes me the most anxious is making sure I'm doing everything correct.

Here is some info on the shots I'm taking in case your'e interested:
- Follistim: Contains FSH and helps stimulate multiple follicles to develop. The medicine is in this pen-like contraption that I alter the dosage of. It is a great little contraption, but I triple check the dosage!
- Menopur: Contains FSH and LH to and help stimulate and mature follicles. This is the only needle that doesn't feel very good bc it is thick. I mix the powder solution with water and suck that up in a fat syringe. Then, that bad boy goes in my tum.
- Ganilrelix: Suppresses the LH surge so that I do not ovulate before they are ready to make me ovulate. My first time with this one will be tomorrow morning, but will definitely be the easiest as the syringe is already prepared and I have to do nothing but inject.

I go back to the doc on Friday for another follicle check. Pleeeaasse keep yourself crossed into a pretzel that my follicles and estrogen are great. I am already anxious/excited to see what my labs look like on Friday. Also, my tentative egg retrieval (ET) is scheduled for next Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Keep cookin eggs, keep cookin!!!

1 comment: